[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Seeking API

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jan 23 17:46:54 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 05:07:52PM +0100, Fran?ois Revol wrote:

> > > I agree to disagree.
> >
> > > For once, the BeOS API does allow seeking individual tracks, so
> > > does
> > > Haiku.
> >
> > BeOS is a video player?
>
> It has a Media Kit API that exposes demuxer and codec addons to native
> apps, allowing to build a media player from it, much like gstreamer in
> GNU/Linux.
> But since it's a generic API, not only for media players it puts the

i wouldnt call a API that cant interface to one of the more widely
available (de)muxer systems efficiently as generic

[...]
> seek(t0+0) read(track0)
> seek(t1+0) read(track1)
> seek(t0+1) read(track0)
> seek(t1+1) read(track1)
>
> Very efficient.

ROTFL

[...]

> but it was abysmally slow.

really? didnt you say it is "very efficient" ?

> > > It might also be wanted by a video editing app might want to
> > > extract
> > > specific frames to display them and audio data at specific point to
> > > show them, without having to close/reopen the file each time or
> > > care if
> > > the others tracks has been seeked too.
> >
> > Do you speak about seeking or something else?
>
> yes, separate parts of the program (2 threads or not) asking for things
> out of order.

ffplay also has a few threads that ask for things out of order, namely the
video & audio decoders, it does not seem its causing a problem, also oddly
we dont need multiple demuxer instances for it, we dont even need a different
seeking API.

And id like to repeat that i agree that demuxers should be able to accept
a hint for which stream to pull a frame out when possible.
Its the per stream and mutually independant seeking you ask about that
i see no sense in. And to say it straight i dont give a damn what the beos
API does or if lavf can interface to it easily.
What i do care about are
1. APIs that are actually used (mplayer, xine, vlc, gstreamer, ...)
2. Actual use cases, that is a case where a user application independant
   of poor design choices would want to seek streams differently.
Nothing in your reply even comes close to either of these ...

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch