[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Dan Dennedy dan
Fri Jan 23 17:57:36 CET 2009

A comment on libavformat from MLT dev (me)...

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Fran?ois Revol <revol at free.fr> wrote:
>> 5. CONCERN: Suitability of libavformat API
>>
>>    Libavformat API is considered inadequate for 'tight' integration
>> with
>>    gstreamer.
>
> I remember writing an lavf demuxer addon for BeOS, but never finished
> it because the seeking semantics were not compatible, lavf seeked the
> whole stream at once, while BeOS handles seeking on a per track basis.
> It worked very well except for streaming...
>
> I suppose it's the same for gstreamer.

99% of MLT users use libavformat for handling 99% of its audio/video
files where the primary applications are video editing (kdenlive) and
automated playout. Of course, it is not perfect on everything, but it
works good for a lot of files. We use separate AV contexts for audio
vs. video, which is not optimal, but works to support independent
track seeking.

Also, FWIW, I am not concerned about any of the other concerns raised.
Keep up the great work and have fun!

--
+-DRD-+