[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jan 23 17:59:19 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:57:36AM -0800, Dan Dennedy wrote:
> A comment on libavformat from MLT dev (me)...
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM, Fran?ois Revol <revol at free.fr> wrote:
> >> 5. CONCERN: Suitability of libavformat API
> >>
> >>    Libavformat API is considered inadequate for 'tight' integration
> >> with
> >>    gstreamer.
> >
> > I remember writing an lavf demuxer addon for BeOS, but never finished
> > it because the seeking semantics were not compatible, lavf seeked the
> > whole stream at once, while BeOS handles seeking on a per track basis.
> > It worked very well except for streaming...
> >
> > I suppose it's the same for gstreamer.
>
> 99% of MLT users use libavformat for handling 99% of its audio/video
> files where the primary applications are video editing (kdenlive) and
> automated playout. Of course, it is not perfect on everything, but it
> works good for a lot of files. We use separate AV contexts for audio
> vs. video, which is not optimal, but works to support independent
> track seeking.

Could you explain me _why_ you do independent track seeking?
What would fail if you did not?

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact