[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Robert Swain robert.swain
Mon Jan 26 16:45:35 CET 2009

2009/1/26 Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 03:06:51PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

>> > A bug squash week every now and then should be doable.
>>
>> It sounds like a great idea in fact.  Let's schedule one right away.
>>
>> How about the weekend at the end of January?
>
> Any takers for a bug squashing weeken scheduled for this weekend or
> the next, later?

Sure. Not this weekend for me, but I should be OK for the one after.

>> > And regarding releases we should atleast put together a roadmap for one.
>>
>> What do you want to see in such a roadmap?

I'm sure we can come up with millions of ideas for features, but I
think our aims for release roadmaps should be centered around
improving the quality of FFmpeg by spending time on core functionality
(i.e. feature holes or weakly implemented features - libavfilter? port
major filters from mplayer? channel mixing and >2 channel resampling?
easy stream concatenation? etc. things that any multimedia
one-stop-shop should have) and documentation (developer, api user and
cli user).

Simply put, releases and their road maps should focus on reliability
and usability. The community already has enough enthusiasm for format
support in my opinion.

>> > And then I think we should adopt the wine method of releasing.
>>
>> What is that method?  A quick search on Google revealed nothing.
>
> Can anybody shine a light on this?

I think they have weekly releases for the development branch or
something like that. I'm not sure how regularly stable releases are
updated.

Regards,
Rob