[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Mon Jan 26 22:31:17 CET 2009

M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com> writes:

>> Now something interesting happens: with the new ffmpeg snapshot
>> libavutil is updated as well. It features a function rename
>> (ff_gcd->av_gcd), which is according to the ffmpeg development policy
>> OK, since it is a pure private function. However this rename breaks the
>> libavcodec51 package horribly. [3]
>
> In summary, you are blaming FFmpeg for difficulties caused by broken
> packaging and silly policies in Debian.  That's not really fair.

I'm sorry to disagree, but your summary is not accurate at all.

I'm not blaming ffmpeg at all! (Ok, granted, I didn't make any
suggestions how to improve the situation either. I rather pointed out
the *perception* of ffmpeg development policies for distros)

I tried to explain in detail what and why we (the distro people) are
doing. The way ffmpeg is developed makes it hard not only for debian,
but for any serious distribution. In fact, from what I read on IRC,
other distros seem to have the very same problems and therefore use
overly strict dependencies.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4