[FFmpeg-devel] FOMS 2009 FFmpeg outbrief

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb
Tue Jan 27 09:45:25 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:10:12PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote :
> Well, this is how I see things, I do not claim to represent the "truth"
> just my view.
Once again, this was more 'random thoughts about FFmpeg' not 'rant
against FFmpeg', because we don't share the general rant.

> Well, it is a bit more that consistency, the problem was possible name
> collissions, too. I would hope that such changes don't happen anymore.
> There may be better examples for "renaming for consistency" though.
Ok. Yes, maybe example was not the best.

> > - keep the API/ABI as consistent as possible
> Hm, maybe there are instances but this is a really bad example.
Ok. Maybe wrong example, but the "keep the API/ABI as consistent as
possible" would help us when you have to support debian/stable and
fedora/bleeding-edge versions. We don't say that FFmpeg doesn't do it
now, but this is important for us.

> > - less dependency of libavformat on libavcodec would be welcome
> I agree fully, but what exactly are you thinking of?
This is just an improvement that might be nice because we would need to
link our avformat module to both libavcodec and libavformat and decrease
the size.

> There are only two dependencies I know of: AVParser (which I think is
> unavoidable) and that extradata formats may be incompatible (theora, and
> IMHO it is justified to blame that on Ogg-braindeadness).
We never said that this would be easy, we just said that this would be
cool.

> > - feature probing API (to find out supported formats/other
> > functionality from the libraries rather than guessing from version
> > number and
> >   other information)
> >   e.g. get_fourcc() would simplify this:
> > http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=modules/codec/avcodec/fourcc.c;
> You are aware of avcodec_find_decoder and av_codec_next ?
> Of course that will not solve the issue of the codec ids not being
> defined, but that seems unavoidable...
> About probing other functionality: more specific examples would be good.
Well, this is more about the issue of some distributions removing
decoders/encoders or adding some and this is quite difficult to manage.
A way of detecting that would be nice.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf