[FFmpeg-devel] release

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Jan 30 07:38:00 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 08:12:07PM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 04:16:13PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >> If you (the release manager?)
> >
> > I guess the job is mine, yes.  Nobody wanted it before, nobody beat me
> > to it, everybody is free to do it better the next time around.
>
> I will be interested to know how you do the packaging. As I inquired
> earlier, what is your command line for building a release package?

This is the greatest non-issue of them all.  I have always wondered how
people can be so shell-challenged that the "need" for a dist target
arises.  Here is the list of magic steps:

- Create a branch in Subversion.
- Replace version.sh by something that hardcodes 0.5.
- svn export svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/tags/0.5/ ffmpeg-0.5
- tar -cvjf ffmpeg-0.5.tar.bz2 ffmpeg-0.5

As you can see it's all immensely arcane and elaborate.  Less gifted
mortals would need the assistance of several megabytes of auto*
assistance to hope to be able to achieve something similar during their
lifetimes.

My consulting services where I teach the basics necessary to one day
perform acts of similar arcane black magic can be bought in the low
three figures (EURO) range.  Do not hesitate to inquire.

;-)

Diego