[FFmpeg-devel] release

Mike Melanson mike
Fri Jan 30 07:45:14 CET 2009

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> This is the greatest non-issue of them all.  I have always wondered how
> people can be so shell-challenged that the "need" for a dist target
> arises.  Here is the list of magic steps:

Yeah, well, I don't understand how anyone can have trouble understanding
basic multimedia tech concepts like the distinction between multimedia
formats and codecs. It's sort of a matter of perception and experience.

> - Create a branch in Subversion.
> - Replace version.sh by something that hardcodes 0.5.
> - svn export svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/tags/0.5/ ffmpeg-0.5
> - tar -cvjf ffmpeg-0.5.tar.bz2 ffmpeg-0.5
>
> As you can see it's all immensely arcane and elaborate.  Less gifted
> mortals would need the assistance of several megabytes of auto*
> assistance to hope to be able to achieve something similar during their
> lifetimes.

Yes, you're very smart. Next, you can work on answering a basic question
without the condescending elitism.

--
     -Mike Melanson