[FFmpeg-devel] release

Robert Swain robert.swain
Fri Jan 30 16:01:00 CET 2009

2009/1/30 Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Benjamin Larsson <banan at ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
>> have releases - silence the major complaint we have about that
>
> And how will it silence the complaints if it doesn't address them?
> Your definition of "release" is "make a tarball", and most of the
> complainers might have higher expectations. Have you asked the
> complainers what they're hoping to achieve by having ffmpeg do a
> "release"?

Indeed. Releases aren't for us, we'll be using the development code
regardless of releases I expect. Releases are for users. If we don't
support/maintain the releases, what is to be gained from doing them?

Diego: I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that you were invigorated to make a
release quickly to get the release ball rolling for good reasons -
what do you want to achieve by conducting releases?

Rob