[FFmpeg-devel] release

Robert Swain robert.swain
Fri Jan 30 19:14:12 CET 2009

2009/1/28 Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:43:45PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> OK, how hard can it be..
>>
>> Just think about it, we throw out a tarball and then we can go wild
>> with API and ABI, after all, a release is out and people can use that
>> and wild changes after a release are only to be expected.
>>
>> I say we make a list of things that need to be done before releasing.
>> This has to be a short list.  We fix those issues, hold off on committing
>> non-bugfix changes for a few days, test what we can and then we make a
>> release.
>>
>> I bet it's even easier than it sounds.
>
> Let's get the two biggest bikeshed topics out of the way right now:
>
> - release date: weekend 2009-02-21/22
> - release name: 0.5
>
> There, progress, it feels so great...

Indeed. Let's go back to this.

2009-02-14/15 : Bug squashing and documentation clean up weekend.
2009-02-21/22 : Release weekend.
Version name  : 0.5 "Bike shed" ?

With the goals discussed in mind, we can push out a tarball and then
work toward the next release. I think a month or two may be a
reasonable amount of time, depending on what we decide we want to
achieve between the releases. We should aim to achieve small but
significant things pertaining to quality/stability and keep the
release momentum going.

Regards,
Rob