[FFmpeg-devel] Fw: [foms] Paper submissions to LCA

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Fri Jul 17 02:16:36 CEST 2009

> Theora might be more interesting, being simplier, if it worked on lower end
> CPU's. ?Currently the ffmpeg version is about the same speed as H264.
> I'm told the xiph version is faster.

Last I heard it was only by a dozen or two percent, which is really
not much if you look at FLV/H.263/MPEG-4 SP, all of which compress
better than Theora and are about 2-3 times faster than H.264.

> Performance isnt everything. ?The
> architecture and extensibility of ffmpeg are appealing.

Firefox doesn't think so; they built their entire pipeline around
liboggplay, nicely ruling out ever including any format other than
Theora without a complete rewrite.

> Another type of performance is IO. ?Ogg is simple, but MP4 is not.

Ogg is relatively simple for streaming, but as a general purpose
container format it is without a doubt one of the worst ever created
in the history of multimedia.

And HTML5 <video> is not streaming.

Dark Shikari