[FFmpeg-devel] Fw: [foms] Paper submissions to LCA

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Fri Jul 17 04:27:36 CEST 2009

> I disagree about "Template everything you can get your hands on"
> rather it should be limited to what is actually faster because
> spliting things up like that means exponential code growth, which is
> not exactly desireable
> Its like rate distortion optim, minimize decoding time + C*size :)
> ... if only gcc managed to understand that instead of their insane
> hundread inlining thresholds and stuff

Of course, I meant that figuratively, not literally.

Additionally, code size doesn't matter if it's not used at the same
time.  For example, CABAC and CAVLC aren't used at the same time in
real streams, so templating based on that doesn't cost code cache.
Same with frametypes, etc.

Dark Shikari