[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Robert Swain robert.swain
Fri Jun 5 14:59:43 CEST 2009

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 07:38:50PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> Now that OpenCORE AMR support is just around the corner, what about
>> libamr?  I'm in favor of removing support for it.  It's nonfree and it's
>> crap and we have a free replacement.
>>
>> There is a catch: libamr supports AMR-WB encoding, OpenCORE does not.
>> IMO we can disregard this.  Hopefully it will spur the development of a
>> native replacement.  I do not plan to remove libamr support from the 0.5
>> branch, so it will always be available there.
>>
>> Thoughts?  Votes?
>
> I just committed the OpenCORE support as replacement.  I will remove
> libamr support after the weekend.

This may disrupt Colin's AMR-NB decoder work for SoC as he's comparing
the FFmpeg implementation against the reference decoder at the moment.
Please wait until I've conferred with him as to whether removal of
libamr support from trunk will significantly impact on his efforts. I
know he has spent some time adding code to the reference 'library' to be
able to conduct the comparisons.

I don't think it will be a problem though because he can always develop
against an older version of trunk while ironing out remaining bugs.

Regards,
Rob