[FFmpeg-devel] H263 decoding crash, [BUG] : reading memory past the end of the buffer.

Eric Bellotti EricB
Fri Jun 5 21:39:51 CEST 2009

> > If I had control, I would add in debug mode code that
> checks provided
> > buffer that FF_INPUT_BUFFER_PADDING_SIZE bytes past the end are
> > readable. So that at least with debug build it would be caught
> > instantly, not like rarely after running it for long time
> in release
> > only.
>
> I'd be interested to know how you think that should work.
> Unless you assume debug builds are always run with valgrind...

Would be great, but I can't think of any standard way of doing this.
Plus, the buffer passed to avcodec_decode could have been allocated with
a different memory allocator than that what libavcodec was compiled
with...