[FFmpeg-devel] BUG in mpeg video decoding? ...

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jun 8 01:28:51 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 12:13:38PM +0200, Luca Abeni wrote:
> ... Or am I misunderstanding something?
>
> After calling avcodec_decode_video2() (or avcodec_decode_video()) on
> MPEG 1 or 2 video, I see that the "pts" field in AVFrame is 0.
> The documentation in avcodec.h says:
>     /**\
>      * presentation timestamp in time_base units (time when frame should be shown to user)\
>      * If AV_NOPTS_VALUE then frame_rate = 1/time_base will be assumed.\
>      * - encoding: MUST be set by user.\
>      * - decoding: Set by libavcodec.\
>      */\
>     int64_t pts;\
> so I would expect that avcodec_decode_video2() either leaves this value
> to AV_NOPTS_VALUE (as it is before calling the decoding function) or
> sets it to a meaningful value (always 0 does not look correct to me).

i would expect that too ...

> How to reproduce: just generate a "test.mpg" file with output_example,
> add something like "fprintf(stderr, "Got PTS %Ld\n", picture.pts);"
> after avcodec_decode_video2() in ffmpeg.c, and run "ffmpeg -i test.mpg
> t1.mpg".
>
> Is this a bug? Or did I misunderstand something? If it is a bug, I am
> willing to investigate it... Just point me to the code I should look at
> (I checked libavcodec/mpeg12.c and libavcodec/mpegvideo.c, and I did not
> find any reference to "pts"...).

maybe a missing call to avcodec_get_frame_defaults() / avcidec_alloc_frame()
somewhere
its simply a matter o looking at te get_buffer call and where the frame
is then finally output, somewhere there or between pts is likely lost

The misfortune of the wise is better than the prosperity of the fool.
-- Epicurus