[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Tue Jun 9 23:21:23 CEST 2009

On 6/9/2009 1:17 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:11:58PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:

>>> I disagree, let's leave it at that.
>> Being against the _facts_ is weird IMHO.
>
> I could say the same, we interpret the facts differently.

Can you please point at facts that go in favor of your argument ? Sorry
if I missed them, because HE-AAC does not support your argument, but mine.

Your argument is: "It (keeping amr-wb encoding feature) costs us the
opportunity that somebody might get motivated to implement AMR-WB
encoding support."

>>> You don't understand what I am trying to say here.  This is not at all
>>> about me using "us" or "me".  I speak in the name of FFmpeg (using "us"
>>> and "we") when dealing with license violators.  Let me try again to get
>>> my point across.  Hopefully with more success this time around.
>>>
>>> When I contact company X, then I do so speaking as an individual in the
>>> name of a project.  Other individuals, say Mike Melanson or Benjamin
>>> Larsson, are not directly involved, only indirectly because they, too,
>>> belong to the FFmpeg project.
>>>
>>> So when I have a credibility problem, the FFmpeg project also has a
>>> credibility problem, but neither Benjamin nor Mike have a direct
>>> credibility problem.  They are not in direct contact, their names are
>>> not directly on the line.
>> You don't understand what I am trying to say here. This is about "you"
>> using "I" instead of "we". This is not about "you" having a credibility
>> problem if that is so, it is about "FFmpeg".
>>
>> When you are speaking on behalf of FFmpeg, I think you should always use
>> "we" and "us".
>
> I understand your point perfectly, but it does not apply.  Even when I
> communicate with violators as "we", I am still an individual.  An
> individual in representation of a group, but still an individual.
> As such, it is my credibility that is on the line.

If you speak on behalf of FFmpeg, I think FFmpeg credibility is on the
line, as such, you can include yourself in the entity, but even when
doing that, I think you should say "we" or "us" or maybe say "FFmpeg".

This is what you said:
"It also costs me some credibility when dealing with license violators."

Notice the "me". I said:
"me" ? You mean FFmpeg

I don't think your credibility alone is involved here but FFmpeg's.