[FFmpeg-devel] multithreaded H.264 / macroblock layer

Andreas Öman andreas
Sat Jun 13 12:55:32 CEST 2009

Martin Brocksch wrote:
> Maybe somebody could help me with my problem and / or provide me with some
> documentation?

Hi,

I tried to split the entropy decoding and picture reconstruction into
two threads a few years ago. You can follow the thread here:

http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-September/035861.html

I would not expect the patch to apply clean on a up-to-date
repository. But you might get a few ideas out of it.

All in all, the realtime speed gain was 20-30% but the processing
time spent increased with 100% (ie. Both cores working full time).
So from a pixels output per energy inserted it actually performs
a lot worse. Something to consider these days :)