[FFmpeg-devel] FW: pts/dts generation and index for mpegts (vob)

Erik Van Grunderbeeck erik
Tue Jun 16 22:26:54 CEST 2009

>I'm not quite sure if we are talking about the same thing. However, I
> (and many others) very definitely have an interest of getting seeking of
>MPEG-TS working correctly (which most probably will involve generating
>index entries for seeking in the process, if you meant that), and this
>on PTS. Unfortunately, I don't have any time for implementing it now.

>Support for chapter/menu/etc. is for me personally uninteresting, but
>others may feel differently.

>Regards,

>Ivan

Yes, its one of the things included I changed by now. Involves looking at
cell/vts level and looking at pts discontinuities. Unfortunately some of it
will mean some changes to the api (both at seek level and at extending the
index generation API for ege clearing).

I could probably introduce these bit by bit, but it doesn't make any sense
to propose all that if the original concept is not accepted.

To make things easier; Ill summarize them:

1) Introduce a new reader (with a new namespace in case of DVD) depending on
libdvdread (in which I fixed a few things I will forward to them).

2a) Extend the mpeg ts reader to allow commands to be send to the API
through a new stream type. That stream type includes "commands" to be
executed.

2b) On ffmpeg/ffplay level implement a few things (ege stream reset, a
simple command handling, subtitle color tables)

3) on the index generation allow for reset of the index (in case of dvd
multi vob read)

4) Introduce a new seek flag to allow seek on chapter level, and fix the
end-generation for duration calculation.

5) Fix a few other things.

I feel using libdvdread is a good way forward. Its rather stable and mature,
and works well on all os's. Furthermore, one simply needs a vm parser to
have angle and all other features, including pts/dts discontinuities
working. Rewriting another one is simply silly IMHO.

Note that I have full dvd reading now implemented already (including angle
handling, substream and pts/dts changes) and it works well. I have a few
things to debug yet (including for some reason that dvd substream subtitle
handling gets bogus when I switch streams).

The patch attached to the original message is outdated, but again, concept
applies.

Erik