[FFmpeg-devel] What is the relationship between wmv1, wmv2 and wmv3 and msmpeg4?

Vitor Sessak vitor1001
Sat Jun 20 18:13:53 CEST 2009

zhihang wang wrote:
>> 1- Changing indentation from 4 spaces to 2 spaces (it is a matter of taste,
>> but for the main branch we settled it to 4 spaces quite some time ago and
>> most devs like it this way)
>
> 2- Changing indentation/var name for a different taste
>
> 3- Rebranding: s/FFmpeg/FFavs/
>> 4- Cosmetics (assignment alignment mostly)
>
> 5- Some funny copy-and-pasting of mpeg code
>
> This is only the very initial work I do when I begin to read the ffmpeg
> source code.
> Now I begin to change the ffmpeg, perhaps the framework of ffmpeg to a more
> readable way.

Just a question: which change you made that made ffmpeg more readable,
and not just more readable for you? Changing everything to your favorite
conventions/indentation style will surely make it more readable for you,
but probably not for other people.

Changing things to your favorite convention is not in general a good
idea, because you are trading a small readability improvement for you
for _much_ pain in turning your work into an patch acceptable for ffmpeg.

-Vitor