[FFmpeg-devel] Seeking to out-of-bounds timestamps

Wolfram Gloger wmglo
Thu Jun 25 15:05:01 CEST 2009

> From: Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>
>
> Users dont like it if they try to seek forward and that fails because
> the seek targets 10min in the future while the file is just 9min long
> or even funnier the file is 11min long but happens not to have a
> keyframe in the last minute

Sure, I agree completely!  But both of these are non-issues (even with
my patch) if AVSEEK_FLAG_BACKWARD is specified.  Which is reasonable if
the user is willing to accept a timestamp lower than the one specified.

> we replace this API because it sucks

ok..

> i have no interrest arguing with you about which way we should guess
> information that the user cannot provide through the API, the new API
> solves this allowing the user to request both a seek to >=3DX as well as
> a seek to Y that is >=3DX and <=3DZ

IMHO the current code is the one which guesses, and with my patch
there is one guess less..

> iam not interrested in consistently inconvenient behaviour, and the fact
> that users complained about the bunch of demuxers that behave like you
> want, it definitly seems users consider it inconvenient
> we have a bugreport about demuxers failing to seek to the end and begin
> your patch makes more demuxers buggy in that respect. If you have some
> comments to that report, alternative solutions on how the user should
> seek, ... these are all welcome

Ok, please point me to that report(s), searching roundup with "seeking"
did not turn up obvious candidates.

Regards,
Wolfram.