[FFmpeg-devel] Seeking to out-of-bounds timestamps

Wolfram Gloger wmglo
Fri Jun 26 10:32:35 CEST 2009

Hi,

> you connot set AVSEEK_FLAG_BACKWARD when seeking forward
>
> if you are demuxing at time 123 and the user seeks forward, lets say
> by 10 seconds to 133, specifying AVSEEK_FLAG_BACKWARD means seek to
> 133 or the first point prior, lets say the closet matching keyframe in
> backward direction is at 0, that makes the player seek 2 minutes backward
> when the user asks for a 10 second forward seek

Just for the record, I disagree here and think that is reasonable
behaviour.  Under the constraint that only seeking to keyframes is
allowed, there will always be such "surprises".

Regards,
Wolfram.