[FFmpeg-devel] Seeking to out-of-bounds timestamps

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Jun 26 16:08:43 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 08:32:35AM -0000, Wolfram Gloger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > you connot set AVSEEK_FLAG_BACKWARD when seeking forward
> >
> > if you are demuxing at time 123 and the user seeks forward, lets say
> > by 10 seconds to 133, specifying AVSEEK_FLAG_BACKWARD means seek to
> > 133 or the first point prior, lets say the closet matching keyframe in
> > backward direction is at 0, that makes the player seek 2 minutes backward
> > when the user asks for a 10 second forward seek
>
> Just for the record, I disagree here and think that is reasonable
> behaviour.

if its reasonable for you that a user can not at all seek forward by pressing
the forward key, well i guess you must be a little disconnected from reality.

a file placing keyframes every 10sec would if the forward key was bound
to a AVSEEK_FLAG_BACKWARD seek of +5 sec and the backward key to a
-5 sec seek witout the flag.
Would seek backward the the next previous keyframe with both keys
The user could in that case press whatever he wanted and how often
he wanted he wouldnt get anywhere

>  Under the constraint that only seeking to keyframes is
> allowed, there will always be such "surprises".

as said you are disconnected from reality, ive never seen a player to
seek into the opposite direction from what it was told and also generally
seeking to the end and begin works.

The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend
to be. -- Socrates