[FFmpeg-devel] release status

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Mar 1 22:31:56 CET 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 08:58:23PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> 2009/3/1 Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>:

> >> But are there any regressions versus before all this timestamp stuff kicked off?
> >
> > It wasnt working before
> > If you ask me if the random timestamps where by luck sometimes correct and
> > that by more luck they are wrong in that case now, well iam not aware of a
> > specific case but i did not search for one either (it was said, you dont have
> > to work for the release just dont be in its way ...)
>
> OK, so these changes have been improvements, good. I wasn't aware
> things were significantly broken before and just had the impression
> that you were trying to clean things up/generalise the implementation.

hehe, no h264 timestamps where random, they still are in many cases,
theres a reason why vsync is disabled on many conformance tests on fate ...

> Admittedly I didn't follow the threads about timestamp issues too
> closely.
>
> > [...]
> >>
> >> See my first comment.
> >
> > i can commit my fixes if you want but i make no promise about the regressions
> > that might cause (make test, the h264 conformance & some random files pass)
> > also these are all old bugs no regressions as far as i can see
>
> Hmm, I suspect if you had enough confidence in it to make the change
> before the release, you would have committed it already.

they are very minor issues ...

one issue is that fetch_timestamp() was using a wrong variable, but it happned
to be equal to the correct one from where its called
Then fetch_timestamp() was called at the end of the frame and this could with
invalid streams have caused the timestamps to be flushed out of the buffer

when i now changed the buffers to include all packets (one thing needed to
track of pos as ivan needs) fetch_timestamp no longer had timestamps as they
where flushed out from the timestamp less packets ...

[...]

> Anyway, on to productive discussion. I started to look at what needed
> to be done to make sure swscale is available in LGPL earlier this week
> but I have been side-tracked since. I will return to it ASAP.

:)

[...]
> > when it comes to imgconvert we have people who "have to" fix things if
> > imgconvert is droped we should use them. And keep in mind its to some
> > part at least people who use ffmpeg for their commercial LGPL requireing
> > code, i have little interrest to work for free to make non(/half free use of
> > ffmpeg easier.
>
> See above comments about commercial entities and their relationship
> with FFmpeg. I do think we should be receiving more sponsorship from
> various commercial users of FFmpeg though, only as long as these users
> do not try to steer the course of our development in a negative way.
> It is clear that FFmpeg's good parts are such high quality because of
> the pedantism and attention to every last detail of the code. That
> must persist.

steering imgconvert/swscale is already happening as you can see ...
theres no real technical reason to delay imgconvert droping

[...]
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Hmm, so what do you propose? A tag and branch, backporting fixes to
> >> the branch up until we make the release?
> >
> > just throw a dice each week and when you get a 2 do a svn up and
> > make a tarball [except of course if something is known to be broken]
> > it worked fine for our users since ages to use 'svn up' from random
> > times ...
>
> I think the tag and branch approach may be better. ;p

i dont mind at all but we have no manpower to backport anything so its
as good as releasing straight ...

If you really think that XML is the answer, then you definitly missunderstood
the question -- Attila Kinali