[FFmpeg-devel] seeking wishlist [was: rmdec.c: parse INDX chunk]

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Wed Mar 11 20:00:13 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 10:18:54AM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, note how read_pts() returns AV_NOPTS_VALUE for old_format, would
> > be nice to fix that somehow if possible, no idea how difficult that'd
> > be, there's no timestamp information in old_format, it's just a
> > lineair sequence of bytes in blocks of a particular length, basically
> > like wav but without even the per-chunk header.
>
> I'm going through particulars now. Ok, so av_seek_frame_binary() etc.
> is beautiful. But it lacks one small thing: updating the demuxer
> afterwards. Is it ok if my rm_seek() function is implemented as this:
>
> int rm_seek() {
>   // FIXME maybe some special handling for old_format/multirate
>   if (av_seek_frame_binary()<0) return -1;
>   rm->audio_pkt_cnt = 0;
>   rm->remaining_len = 0;
>   return 0;
> }
>
> ? That seems like it would do the whole thing...

ok if it does the thing ;)

As for multirate it's probably good to determine non-discarded streams
and seek to their position (I have vague idea now). I suspect demuxing
all streams at once there will result in too much seeking too so better
take a slack and don't try to demux discarded stream at all.