[FFmpeg-devel] natsuki downtime (aka murphy strikes back)

Attila Kinali attila
Fri Mar 13 15:15:59 CET 2009

Moin people,

As you know, natsuki was down since yesterday about 12:50 until
today 14:20 (CEST, GMT+1). Unfortunately, the remote console
was unreachable which prevented us from accessing the machine.

I want to the colo center to figure out what has happend and
a short look revealed several things:

* natsuki ran into an OOM condition (cause unknown)
* there was a softlockup (locking problem in the kernel,
  probably due to the OOM)

* the backup battery of the raid controller is dead
  (-> write cache of the raid controller is disabled)
* a harddisk died (-> currently syncing to hotspare)
* the remote console card is dead

There were multiple fs errors on bootup, but according
to logs nothing serious.

This means for us that we cannot do any major updates
or kernel upgrades until the remote console card has
been replaced. We need a new hard disk as hot spare
and have to replace the backup battery.

I'll try to find some time this weekend to order
the hardware and replace them ASAP.

Thanks for your understanding

			Attila Kinali

--