[FFmpeg-devel] release feedback

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Sat Mar 14 23:18:11 CET 2009

Hi Carl Eugen,

On 3/14/2009 12:20 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Diego Biurrun <diego <at> biurrun.de> writes:
>
>> The target audience for this release were distributions and projects or
>> companies reusing FFmpeg.  From what I have heard they received exactly
>> what they wanted.
>
> Since I believe that
> 1) the release stopped one important developer for an unacceptable long time
> from developing and others for a noticeable period, and

Interesting, would it to possible to know exactly who felt stopped in
his heavy development by the release ?

Personnally, the release went smoothly, and did not stop my development
at all.

> 2) the problems will start the moment people ask for fixes,

If something is broken, well I believe it is good that people notice it
and report it. Yes, they can always ask, but this shouldn't change our
way of fixing bugs, should it ?

> I'd like to ask:
> From their pov, what is the difference between our daily tarballs and the
> release?

I believe having an "anchor" for regressions will be useful.
It is also a way to point to users and packages which revision to use.

Who, besides us, are the best people to consider which revision is
"safe" and enough stable ? This is also why I believe the releases
should be "status"-based in addition to be "time"-based.

Ideally, a call for maintainers should be done, because they should know
better the status of their maintained code.

checking for life_signs in -lkenny... no