[FFmpeg-devel] release feedback

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos
Mon Mar 16 01:03:42 CET 2009

Diego Biurrun <diego <at> biurrun.de> writes:

> > From their pov, what is the difference between our daily tarballs and the
> > release?
>
> The release is a tarball that has seen a bit of stabilization and an
> official blessing.  If you pick a random revision from Subversion, you
> might get unlucky and hit a regression.

We can use FATE to make this exactly as unlikely as with a developer-picked
revision (that we call release).
Of course this means to put even more current manpower in the "development" of
FATE (and a way to use FATE's knowledge for the tarball generation), but I
believe we would clearly benefit in the long term.

> Also, different projects or programs use different revisions and thus
> they have different feature sets and bugs in their FFmpeg component.
> All make different sorts of patches.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what this has to do with the question if/when/how we
release - please explain.

> What they want is something more dependable and a possibility to share
> the packaging work among them.

How do daily "releases" make this more difficult?

[...]

> Somehow your reply just raises more questions.  Please be more specific.

I'm sorry. Originally, I just wanted to pose the question you (alone) answered,
then I added some related ideas (which haunted me for some time) that admittedly
don't help at all.

Carl Eugen