[FFmpeg-devel] Blu Ray drive donation

Kostya kostya.shishkov
Mon Mar 16 17:57:20 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 04:14:10PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> After the phoronix interview [1] that we indulged after the release last
> week, it seems there is a fair amount of interest in FFmpeg supporting
> Blu Ray decoding.

That depends on what's missing.
>From the list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Codecs):
* MPEG-2 (should be fine)
* H.264 (interlaced stuff troubles?)
* VC-1 (interlaced support missing. And I from the streams I've seen it requires
implementing interlaced fields support. Should be a good GSoC task)
* AC3 (should be fine)
* DTS (should be fine as well)
* PCM (should be fine)
* EAC3 (almost? there)
* Dolby TrueHD (should be fine)
* DTS-HD MA (someone should donate spec instead)

> I have received a private e-mail asking if we would be interested in a
> donation of a Blu Ray drive. I would also request some Blu Ray media for
> testing purposes if the donor could afford it. Aside from this private
> e-mail, a few other people have expressed an interest in making
> donations to enable such support.
>
> I expect we would not try to implement some AACS decryption, but only
> support decoding of non-encrypted streams. Is anyone interested in
> receiving this donation to work on Blu Ray support?

Indeed, it's mostly AACS stuff where you need real media. For codecs streams
stored at FTP should be enough.