[FFmpeg-devel] h263 - svq3 optimizations

Yohann Martineau yohann.martineau
Tue Mar 17 15:03:58 CET 2009

On 3/17/09, Panagiotis Issaris <takis.issaris at uhasselt.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 17 March 2009 13:38:02 Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:16 AM, Yohann Martineau
>>
>> <yohann.martineau at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > hello,
>> >
>> > h263 and sorenson spark have some common elements. Both have picture,
>> > MB and block layers. And it seems that block layer is also very
>> > similar between those two codecs.
>> >
>> > Do you think it would make sense to work on transcoding optimizations
>> > between those two codecs?
>>
>> Perhaps you meant H.264?  SVQ3 is quite similar to H.264, not H.263.
>
> No, he's right, Sorenson _Spark_ and H.263 are actually very similar. They
> differ mostly in header structure and ranges of the coefficients.

Actually, I meant sorenson spark, which is used for adobe flash player
(9+) webcam video streaming. I thought it was SVQ3, is it SVQ1?
There's a page on the wiki about sorenson spark, but it does not say
if it's svq1 or svq3 (or something else?):

  http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Sorenson_Spark

I've read swf 10 format specification on adobe site and it seems that
svq3.c matches the video chapter, but I may be wrong.