[FFmpeg-devel] Blu Ray drive donation

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara
Wed Mar 18 19:49:45 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Robert Swain <robert.swain at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that no one else has really stepped up and the main thing for
> the person who receives the drive to do is to support the AACS
> decryption, if this is acceptable to have within FFmpeg. Once decryption
> is resolved, the rest should be 'doable' from samples.
>
> Does anyone else have any comments?
>
> Regards,
> Rob

I have a feeling this has been mentioned in some capacity already, but
that person should read through this thread at Doom9:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=140571

That was the thread wherein the open-source BD+ decryption method was
developed, ultimately culminating in libbluray.  That project has now
split into two seperate projects, one for handling BD+
(http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/bdplus)  and one for handling the
BD-J parts (https://launchpad.net/bdj).  Apparently there is an
interplay between the BD+ scrambling and the BD-J machine, so the BD-J
project pertains both to menus and to decryption.

Yesterday, it was suggested that the libaacs and libbluray be merged
under the collective name of "libbluray."  Although I use the windows
tool for ripping my blu-ray disks, my understanding is that the AACS
decryption under linux can either be done w/ a tool like dumpHD linked
against a library of known MKB keys, or by owning a drive with patched
firmware (LG appear to be popular) wherein the volume ID can be read
without needing the key lib.

I hope this pulls together some of the information that might be
helpful and saves someone some effort/reinventing of the wheel.

Robert