[FFmpeg-devel] GSoC 2009

Mike Melanson mike
Thu Mar 19 06:08:14 CET 2009

The Deep Explorer wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:

>>> This task should about 1-2 months of work for someone who never ever
>>> worked with FFmpeg before. So I consider this as valid task and I'm
>>> quite sure that whoever gets the task will complete it in time -> good
>>> SoC project.
>> I'd like to second the notion that SoC projects should maybe be reduced
>> in size somewhat.  If we look at the experience from past years, most
>> projects do not get finished in time.
>>
>> Diego
>
> Thanks Mike for the pointer ..I have downloaded the document and went
> through the Screen Video V2 Bitstream format Section. To summarize :
>
> a) Screen video under SWF7 meant for capturing computer screens in action.
> b) It talks about the block and image height width
> c) The pixel compression is done using ZLIB open standard and
> d) The video is supported using the SWF or FLV file format.
>
> Do I need to look into the ZLIB /SWF/FLV file formats ?

That shouldn't be necessary. Just familiarize yourself with the core
algorithm laid out in the SWF spec.

> Please tell me how do I get an overall big picture so as to understand
> the thing, the project objectives
> and make a good SoC application.

Honestly, don't worry too much about the app. On this team, we don't
care that much (you'll still be expected to make a token effort). We are
far more interested in your qualification task.

> As recommended , I am chosing the 16-bit VQA Video Decoder as my
> qualification task.

You may want to get started on this sooner rather than later in order to
determine if the FFmpeg project is right for you during this Summer of
Code. Ask questions.

--
     -Mike Melanson