[FFmpeg-devel] Speed Demon

Roman V Shaposhnik rvs
Thu Mar 19 16:18:05 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 20:28 -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a friend with access to a 64-way Sparc machine with 32 GB of RAM.
> He wants to see if it can set a new speed record with FFmpeg. So, have
> it, you speed freaks: What would be the best way to stress FFmpeg,
> preferably in multi-threaded mode? I suspect it would have to do with
> encoding somehow, and this person has access to plenty of raw video footage.

On the SPARC box that I have (128 vcpus, 32 cores, 4 cpus) the DV
encodcing/decoding proved to be the most scalable so far. I can't
say it was a speed record, but it sure was a scalability one
(on ~50 vcpus I've got about 10x speedup). The memory seems to be
the biggest bottleneck so far...

Anyway, I would be very curious to hear suggestions as well.

Thanks,
Roman.