[FFmpeg-devel] full swscale relicensing to LGPL

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Mar 20 20:58:46 CET 2009

Hi

A company is apparently offering 20KEUR to have all of swscale relicensed
under LGPL.

Iam not opposed to this, but iam not the only author who still has GPL
code in there, so my question to all other authors is:
do you
agree to relicensing your code under /libswscale as of current ffmpeg HEAD
to LGPL?
If so what percentage, if any of the money do you want for it?

some statistics about the x86 asm (other asm seems with the exception of
swscale_altivec_template to be under LGPL already)
svn blame -x --ignore-space-change -x --ignore-all-space rgb2rgb.c rgb2rgb_template.c swscale.c swscale_template.c yuv2rgb.c yuv2rgb_template.c rgb2rgb.h swscale.h swscale_internal.h  >blame3

egrep '(\\n\\t|%%mm)' blame3 | sed 's/ *[0-9]* *\([^ ]*\) .*/\1/' | sort |uniq -c | sort -n
      7 ivo
     13 flameeyes
     20 atmos4
     34 stefang
     37 sdrik
     43 reimar
     71 cehoyos
    117 diego
    192 nick
    210 arpi
    301 aurel
   1663 michael

this of course has to be taken with a grain of salt as its just a automated
statistic diego for example wrote no asm and aurels commits where:
 "adapting existing mmx/mmx2/sse/3dnow optimizations so they work on x86_64"
 "fix few x86_64 registers handling"
 "10000l : fix a crash on x86 due to an horrible mistake in my x86_64 patch"

and then there is the original code from yuv2rgb_template.c which is
copyrighted by god knows who (i traced it to r2 of mplayer libvo/yuv2rgb_mmx.c
commited by arpi and probably from libmpeg2)
possibly copyrighted by Olie Lho
and swscale_altivec_template.c by Romain Dolbeau

Also, no matter how small your contribution to sws, please reply and say
clearly what you want or dont want and if you are ok with LGPL or not.

Also diego might have some list of people who already unconditionally agreed
or unconditionally disagreed (i dont remember) this also would be usefull.

PS: if any other companies want to increase the amount further, after all
more than one would benefit from lgpl swscale, thats of course welcome too.

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates