[FFmpeg-devel] Code stability, compileability and general shortage of cola.

Måns Rullgård mans
Sat Mar 21 15:18:33 CET 2009

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:50:00AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > rumors say that coca cola is having difficulty keeping production up
>> > to satisfy the demand of the ffmpeg developers lately ...
>> >
>> > So please, do make sure that before commit, your code
>> > 1. compiles
>> > 2. works
>> > 3. does not break regression tests
>>
>> I'd even go so far as suggesting NO MORE COMMITS before regression
>> tests pass.  The last couple of days have been terrible.
>
> in that respect i would suggest that if breakage cant be cleanly fixed
> things should be reverted instead of adding dubious hacks.
> Its better to take a step back and rethink things in that case IMHO

Agreed.

I realise that from time to time, a commit will accidentally break
something one platform or another.  We support many targets, and most
people only have one or two available to test on.  However, we do have
FATE (thanks Mike).  I strongly encourage people to regularly check
FATE, especially after checking in changes.  Any serious breakage is
usually picked up within an hour.  The slower targets may take longer.

I'd also like to repeat my offer for ssh accounts on a PPC machine.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com