[FFmpeg-devel] sending the SFLC after license violators

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Mar 26 15:36:07 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 02:46:27PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> We have a few violators on the issue tracker that are ripe for being
> taken over by the SFLC instead of being engaged in a friendly manner by
> us.

i think they are over-ripe.
and i think they are not few

> I'm thinking specifically of iPhone Video Recorder, which seems to
> employ some symbol mangling, see
> http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue752
> and that party that seems to publish software under a dozen different
> names.

The decission of who to go after and in what order should not be publically
discussed before. We could publish the mails after the lawsuits but doing
so before borders on insanity.
also the question of who to go after should be discussed with "our lawyers"
the SFLC, there may very well be reasons why a differnt first move might be
better that we do not know.

> There is one problem, however: Nobody gives a hoot.
>
> You guys cannot even be bothered to say who has talked to the SFLC, who
> has sent them the papers, who received confirmation or receipt and who
> was told from the SFLC that they already have sufficient clients.
>
> There is a list on the multimedia wiki that shows how much energy
> everybody is dedicating to this topic:
>
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_SFLC_representation

I think it may be a disadvantage to us to give violators a list of
who will file lawsuits against them, possibly long before it happens

> ... defining _GNU_SOURCE...
For the love of all that is holy, and some that is not, don't do that.
-- Luca & Mans