[FFmpeg-devel] Remaining problems in H.264 handling

Ivan Schreter schreter
Sun Mar 29 23:26:59 CEST 2009

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:22:06PM +0100, Ivan Schreter wrote:
>
>> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 07:56:59PM +0100, Ivan Schreter wrote:
>>>   [...]
>>>
> [...]
>
>>> 2. there is no frame rate field, and i repeat like i did many times in the
>>>    past that people CANNOT hijack a timebase or the r_frame_rate field
>>>    and set them to the frame rate.
>>>    if you want a frame rate field that has to be added as a new field.
>>>

>> I don't have sources on this computer and I don't remember exactly, so I'm
>> not going to write proper member names here.
>>
>> However, AFAIK we have following: time base of the stream (90kHz for
>> MPEG-TS), which is rather uninteresting (it's just scaling constant),
>> timestamp rate (50Hz) and actual video full frame rate (25fps).
>>

> you make random assumptions, there is nothing in the spec that requires
> the timestamp rate as you call it to be that it can be 90khz or anything
> else.

Sorry, I was not precise again. I meant 50Hz and 25fps as examples for
further explanations. 90kHz is only for MPEG-TS (H.222.0 explicitely
states that DTS/PTS timestamps are 90kHz, see H.222.0, 2.14.1 and
2.4.3.6, though the actual AVC timestamps may have different resolution
-- I believe, there might be some issue still present there in MPEG-TS,
BTW), other formats can use other time base, of course.

>> The problem: video full frame rate will be currently determined by
>> "unreliable" handling, where timestamps of *packets* are considered,
>> instead of *frames*, packet timestamps being expressed in 50Hz. Thus, video
>> consisting of field pictures (2 field pictures per video frame) will get
>> frame rate 50fps instead of correct 25fps. Video consisting of frame
>> pictures will get correct frame rate 25fps. Video consisting of "frame
>> doubling" pictures will get frame rate 12.5fps.
>>

> i dont understand what you are trying to say, r_frame_rate is a guessed
> value to begin with and it is not the frame rate but a guess at a simple
> timebase in which all timestamps can be represented this is documented
> clearly in avcodec.h.

I'm not talking about r_frame_rate member, but about actual frame rate
(e.g., for display in a player or for transcoding, etc.).

According to your other post, it looks like we should introduce an
explicit frame rate field parallel to the current r_frame_rate (which is
then IMHO misnamed, since it's not frame rate). But I cannot look at the
details now, since I don't have access to the sources right now.

Regards,

Ivan