[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] AVComponentDescriptor and bit-streamed formats

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Mon Mar 30 11:00:09 CEST 2009

On date Monday 2009-03-30 10:25:40 +0200, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:26:10AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
[...]
> > So the problem I'm having is with step+offset+shift.
> >
> > The variables I need for describing a bit-streamed format are:
> > * plane
> > * step (bits or bytes+remaining bits)
> > * offset (bits or bytes+remaining bits)
> > * depth
> >
> > Currently the only bit-streamed formats supported in FFmpeg are:
> > BGR4, RGB4, MONOWHITE, MONOBLACK, and for these the ranges used for
> > step and offset may suffice for interpreting those values as a number
> > of *bits*, but for extensibility sake I think we should:
> >
> > * extend the range of the step and offset fields
> > or
> > * introduce new fields to express the step/offset remaining bits
> >   (maybe reusing shift)
> >
> > Once this is clear it should be fairly easy to complete the
>
> so you want to extend things to support non existent cases?
> no interest until you can provide a real and used pix format that needs
> it

No problem if you want to keep that way.

So is it OK to interpret step and offset as a number of *bits* for
bit-streamed formats?

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Foolish and Fostering Multipurpose Powered Enigmatic God