[FFmpeg-devel] Intel IPP H264 encoder

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Mon Nov 16 23:54:11 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Frank Barchard <fbarchard at google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Jason Garrett-Glaser <
> darkshikari at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:35 AM, Erik Van Grunderbeeck <erik at arawix.com>
>> wrote:
>> > http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-ipp/
>> >
>> > They have more then some optimized base algo's now. These days, you get
>> full
>> > encoders, decoders, etc.
>>
>> The IPP H.264 encoder holds the honor of being the second-worst
>> encoder codebase I have ever seen.
>>
>> It's also embarrassingly crap.
>>

> Although image quality is generally not as good as x264, it still has some
> merit:
> Encode speed is fast.

Fast?  No, it's awfully written and slow relative to the amount of
analysis that it does.

> It has features not available in x264, such as high profile YUV 444 color
> space

Yes, that is pretty much the only merit it has.  But I'm pretty sure
that the form of YUV444 it *does* support was removed from the spec in
2007.

> Here is a comparison of H264 encoders
> http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/pdf/msu_mpeg_4_avc_h264_codec_comparison_2006_eng.pdf

The MSU comparisons are laughably bad (and that one is 3.5 years old,
for that matter).

Dark Shikari