[FFmpeg-devel] Upgrade Trouble

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Nov 28 22:59:13 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:20:46PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
[...]
> Is my analysis correct? If yes, you can imagine that the shown testcase
> is exactly what happens in a distro setting. Media players have been
> built against FFmpeg 0.5, and upgrading FFmpeg packages will change the
> system in a very similar way as described here.

> How can the problem
> described in my mail avoided in an *elegant* way?

The problem disapears if the linker wouldnt shadow symbols but rather
provide each piece of code with what it declared to depend on.

Awnsering whenever a program halts or runs forever is
On a turing machine, in general impossible (turings halting problem).
On any real computer, always possible as a real computer has a finite number
of states N, and will either halt in less than N cycles or never halt.