[FFmpeg-devel] Upgrade Trouble

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala
Mon Nov 30 23:40:02 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 23:01 +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> writes:
>
> >> Wouldn't it be much more practical to declare that the version bump
> >> broke (indirectly) the binary compatibility of the intermediate
> >> libraries (libavformat, libavcodec, etc.), and thus, bump SONAME on *all*
> >> libraries that link against libavutil? I think that would be all
> >> libraries but libswscale.
> >>
> >> This would allow FFmpeg 0.5 and current trunk to be installed in
> >> parallel and thus, make my life as packager a *lot* easier in this case.
> >
> > This would fix things for programs that only have *direct* use of FFmpeg
> > libraries. However there could still be problems if a program uses other
> > libraries that internally depend on FFmpeg ones; those indirect
> > dependencies can still load any older library version into the process.
>
> ah, you mean applications that link both to an intermediate library and
> e.g. libavcodec? Do you have any examples of those in mind?

A quick search shows mediatomb-common depending on libavformat and
libffmpegthumbnailer3, and the latter also depends on libavformat.

> I guess that we can fix all of them with simple rebuilds, which can be
> done very easily for both distros I work on.

Rebuilding just the applications is not necessarily enough. In the above
case things would work as long as _neither_ mediatomb-common nor
libffmpegthumbnailer3 uses new libavformat; but they'd need to be
rebuilt at the same time. I'm not sure how much more practical this
would become than "upgrade everything to the new libraries at once",
which you're obviously not considering to be a practical solution.