[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] decoder/encoder naming consistency

Diego Biurrun diego
Mon Oct 19 19:06:24 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 06:25:20PM +0300, Kostya wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 04:59:54PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > I propose renaming files to to adhere to the following naming
> > convention:
> >
> > foodec.c - decoder for format foo
> > fooenc.c - encoder for format foo
> > foo.c    - common code used by both decoder and encoder
> >
> > Currently we have some cases where the encoder is in fooenc. while the
> > decoder is in foo.c, for example zmbv.c and zmbvenc.c.
> >
> > This should be made consistent.  The cases where we just have a decoder
> > are secondary, they can remain as foo.c, but when both are available, we
> > should try to avoid the confusion.
> >
> > The same applies to demuxers and muxers.
> >
> > OK to rename?
>
> I would prefer clear naming scheme (which should be documented as well):
> * decoder or wrapper -> ${codecname}.c
> * pure encoder -> ${codecname}enc.c
> * if common code is present, it should be named {codecname}.c and
>   decoder should be renamed into ${codecname}dec.c
>
> FFmpeg is decoder-oriented, after all - just compare the number of
> decoders and encoders.

Since there are a lot of files already following this naming scheme,
this seems like the way to go without having to rename too many files.

I'd like to go ahead with this unless there is strong opposition.  No
extensive bikeshed coloring please.

Diego