[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg Foundation

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Thu Oct 29 00:40:37 CET 2009

Hi,

some developers have stated the intent to set up a NGO
(non-governmental organization) to help us bring some structure,
support and funding into the project. We haven't decided on a name
yet, although people agree that we dislike "FFmpeg Foundation" - if
you can suggest better names, please do so in this thread. Right now,
we're at a point where I think most of the stuff is decided and there
is just some paperwork to be filled out. All this with many thanks to
Karen at the SFLC who helped to get all this going. The NGO will be
registered in Delaware, USA (for administrative reasons). Its goal
will be to "advance the state of free and open multimedia" or
something like that.

For the time being, this organization will be run by a board
consisting of 7 members. For the starting board, the following
developers have volunteerd:
- Baptiste Coudurier
- Benjamin Larsson
- Carl Eugen Hoyos
- Diego Biurrun
- Mans Rullgard
- Michael Niedermayer
- Ronald S. Bultje
If you feel that these members will not be able to appropriately
represent this project, now would be a good time to speak up and
suggest something better. For the near future, the directors will
elect a new board at the end of their yearly term (and that might end
up in the same 7 members). If there's enough interest, we might set up
a member-structure so the board can be properly elected by its members
(=developers, contributors, etc.), but ATM we lack the structure for
even that ample task, so not for now.

The NGO will set up a bank account to accept tax-deductible donations
(bank, paypal, etc.) from organizations, users and companies to
benefit the further advance of "open / free multimedia". These might
be spend on FFmpeg development, FFmpeg development hackparties, FFmpeg
developers attending conferences or anything else that we will would
serve the greater good of "open / free multimedia" (i.e. it doesn't
have to be FFmpeg, specifically). We will also accept donations for a
specific purpose (e.g. Snow, etc.). Lastly, we will host a bank
account for MPlayer for donations intended specifically for MPlayer,
rather than FFmpeg.

Comments?

Ronald