[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg Foundation

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Thu Oct 29 15:31:34 CET 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 10:35 AM, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:43:54 -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
>>already. They didn't. We're probably fine. Don't forget that we don't
>>distribute binaries anyway (I know, I know, this shouldn't matter; but
>>let's be practical while we're at it.)
>
> mplayer

FFmpeg foundation.
^^^^^^

The fact that we host a (separate) bank account for MPlayer is an
interesting artifact, but does not make us legally responsible. The
relationship of FFmpeg to Mplayer is not much different (from a legal
PoV) to that of FFmpeg - Videolan or FFmpeg - these crazy iphone apps
that play radio or FFmpeg - these license-violating windows
convertABCtoXYZ applications.

[..]
> is distributing windows and mac binaries.
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
>
> not to mention the codec pack.
> what else we are not doing?

Ronald