[FFmpeg-devel] H264 lowres feature

Loren Merritt lorenm
Thu Sep 17 01:09:26 CEST 2009

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Anatoliy Nenashev wrote:

> Is anybody try to implement "lowres" feature in H264 decoder? It may improve
> performance in "Baseline profile" which is very actual for  video from
> IP-camera.

Impossible, or at least not very similar to other formats. While you're
used to lowres introducing a certain amount of distortion, h264 intra
perdiction has to run at fullres or it'll degenerate into random garbage
over the course of a single frame. I don't know how much distortion you'd
get from predicting full intra blocks from lowres inter.

--Loren Merritt