[FFmpeg-devel] improved DV probe score patch BROKES detecting 1-frame DV

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Fri Sep 25 20:47:11 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:13:35AM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> On 09/25/2009 07:01 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >maybe we should test how bad the various<=25 probes are with probetest and
> >then consider to reassign scores based on that. If above really is that
> >often causing false positives then i surely agree with reducing its score
>
> We can surely continue complicating probing functions, however I
> believe the whole approach should be improved
>
> First taking file extension into account is the first thing to do IMHO.
> It seems reasonable to assume that if filename matches and probe is
> sufficiently high enough (this must be defined), this is the correct
> format.

Well, there is one reason that speaks against it: it means that cases
where no extension is available (http streaming often) might become
tested much worse. But apart from that I do not like much how
extensions are handled currently (though IMO your suggestions give it
too much relevance).
In case your comment is related to the DV probe: an argument for complicating
it anyway is that currently single-frame DV files are only detected with a
warning due to low score, there are apparently people using single-frame DV
and raising the score is not ok since the test is not really reliable.