[FFmpeg-devel] improved DV probe score patch BROKES detecting 1-frame DV

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Fri Sep 25 21:35:03 CEST 2009

On 09/25/2009 11:47 AM, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:13:35AM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> On 09/25/2009 07:01 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> maybe we should test how bad the various<=25 probes are with probetest and
>>> then consider to reassign scores based on that. If above really is that
>>> often causing false positives then i surely agree with reducing its score
>>
>> We can surely continue complicating probing functions, however I
>> believe the whole approach should be improved
>>
>> First taking file extension into account is the first thing to do IMHO.
>> It seems reasonable to assume that if filename matches and probe is
>> sufficiently high enough (this must be defined), this is the correct
>> format.
>
> Well, there is one reason that speaks against it: it means that cases
> where no extension is available (http streaming often) might become
> tested much worse. But apart from that I do not like much how
> extensions are handled currently (though IMO your suggestions give it
> too much relevance).

Yes, indeed if extension is missing, all formats must be tested.
I'm also thinking that extension can be used to break probing score
ties, in this case for example.

> In case your comment is related to the DV probe: an argument for complicating
> it anyway is that currently single-frame DV files are only detected with a
> warning due to low score, there are apparently people using single-frame DV
> and raising the score is not ok since the test is not really reliable.

I definitely trust you on improving the dv probe function, I'm just a
bit worried about the code, mpeg probing code is frightening me :>

--
Baptiste COUDURIER