[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] protocol API vs SCTP

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Mon Apr 5 18:57:31 CEST 2010

Hi Luca,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:
> I started working in adding sctp-rtp support in ffmpeg, the RTSP part
> was quite easy then I started hacking the network layer and found a
> small annoying problem. SCTP support a way to tag single packets with a
> stream_id, the sctp rtp support uses that to interleave all the rtp and
> rtsp streams and thus requiring a single port per connection.

So let me get this straight, this is all part of the protocol level
and is not actually part of the packet data? That's a little obscure.
:-).

[..]
> - double buffer in the protocol context somehow and register the
> protocol per stream_id (probably overly complicated)
> - register per ip:port and return the buffer with the stream_id/all the
> extended information prepended to the actual buffer (quite simple but a
> bit ugly)
> - register per ip:port and put the extended info in a private field in
> the context and fetch it (simple as well, maybe less ugly)
>
> I'd got with the third way, not sure if would be better provide an
> accessor like the one we have for fetch the fd or just directly fetch it.

Accessor, as long as private (ff_, not av_) is fine with me, I think.

Ronald