[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] RTP hint tracks in the mov muxer

Martin Storsjö martin
Mon Apr 19 18:20:53 CEST 2010

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010, Luca Abeni wrote:

> Martin Storsj? wrote:
> > I've started sketching on adding support for RTP hint tracks in the mov
> > muxer.
> >
> > Brief background: When serving an on-demand .mov/.3gp/.mp4 using some RTSP
> > servers (notably, darwin streaming server), the server itself isn't able to
> > do the RTP packetization, but relies on the files containing hints on how to
> > packetize it. In QuickTime apps, this can be done by checking an "Enable
> > streaming" box when exporting, or alternatively, the hint tracks can be
> > added with third party applications such as MP4Box/GPAC.
> >
> > These hint tracks are standardized in the ISO base media file format.
> [...]
>
> I do not know much about the mp4 muxer, but I assume that this RTP track
> hinter can share a lot of the packetisation code with the RTP muxer, right?

Yes, in my current prototype, it fully reuses the RTP muxer without any
modifications to that part. Since we already have all that code available,
it simply ties all the parts together. :-)

// Martin