[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Removing non-pthreads support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Apr 20 02:20:06 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:16:40PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> FFmpeg currently supports four different threading libraries:
> pthreads, beos, win32, and OS/2.  I suspect most people already use
> pthreads, and all the relevant operating systems seem to have a
> pthreads implementation, even OS/2.  I'm not sure about old BeOS, but
> I doubt anyone is still using that, much less with threads.
>
> To ease the maintenance burden, I suggest we drop support for all but
> pthreads in FFmpeg.  If there is a compelling reason for keeping any
> of the others, please speak up now.

Iam fine with droping them if the maintainers of the relevant platform
related code are ok with it, they should know best if pthreads are enough
and equally convenient and fast on their platform.

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact