[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] RTP hint tracks in the mov muxer

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Tue Apr 20 07:21:32 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 4/19/10 6:31 AM, Martin Storsj? wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've started sketching on adding support for RTP hint tracks in the mov
> muxer.
>
> Brief background: When serving an on-demand .mov/.3gp/.mp4 using some RTSP
> servers (notably, darwin streaming server), the server itself isn't able
> to do the RTP packetization, but relies on the files containing hints on
> how to packetize it. In QuickTime apps, this can be done by checking an
> "Enable streaming" box when exporting, or alternatively, the hint tracks
> can be added with third party applications such as MP4Box/GPAC.
>
> These hint tracks are standardized in the ISO base media file format.
>

> I've got working prototype code for the all of this, but before I try to
> polish it up for review, I'd like to know in which way such a MOV track
> should be marked. Currently, I've been using:
>
>      hint_st->codec->codec_type = AVMEDIA_TYPE_DATA;
>      hint_st->codec->codec_tag = MKTAG('r', 't', 'p', ' ');
>
> 'rtp ' is the tag used for these tracks within the stsd atom. Is this ok
> for identifying these tracks within the mov muxer, or should I add
> CODEC_ID_RTP_HINT and set that as codec_id instead?

I think it's fine using this. These tracks will be created in the muxer
anyway. You can have a look at what David did for the chapters track in
his patch.

--
Baptiste COUDURIER